Wednesday 21 March 2012

Museum of Science and Industry

I mainly looked at the Textiles Exhibition and exterior of the building, because the shapes found in the windows and machines were quite interesting in terms of geometrical patterns. It included many old machines and processes, which I think some people might find helpful if you're looking at old machines it will be a worthwhile visit. They also have live Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 demonstrations of cotton production in the 1800s on the actual mass production machines. Cotton has quite an Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 intriguing process if anyone wants to read into it, from cotton plant to the various processes of spinning before it's commercially sold.

The Thistledown coat by Adrian Bannon was quite amazing; I wonder how she managed to piece the delicate indiviual seeds of the thistle plant together. It seems like it'd blow away any second.

I love Jennifer Collier's work, I found it to be a refreshing take on creating fabric.

She's a British textiles artist, I'm not sure where she is from Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 specifically but she has a few exhibitions on around Merseyside.

 

"My practice focuses on creating work from paper; by bonding, waxing, trapping and stitching I produce unusual paper ‘fabrics’, which are used to explore the ‘remaking’ of household objects.

The papers are treated as if cloth, with the main technique employed being stitch; a contemporary twist on traditional textiles.

The papers themselves serve as both the inspiration and the media for my work, with the narrative of the books and papers suggesting the forms.

I tend to find items then investigate a way in which they can be reused and transformed; giving new life to things that would otherwise go unloved or be thrown away."

No comments:

Post a Comment